"The most widely used strategy guide and reference resource for buying a UK business"
According to industry statistics, over 90 percent of the people who begin the search to buy a UK business fail to complete a purchase.
There were several common reasons given by those who failed to realize their dream of business ownership: most were first-time buyers and admitted to having totally underestimated just how much was involved with each stage of the buying process.
They felt overwhelmed and ill prepared to handle all of the new situations and major decisions they encountered.
Business ownership can prove to be one of the smartest investments you'll ever make. However, if you want to be certain you are successful, just like anything else, it is imperative that you are properly prepared and equipped with the right information in order to make all the right decisions along the way.
Everything You Must Know Before You Buy A UK Business.
How To Buy A Good UK Business At A Great Price© is "the most widely used and successful strategy guide for buying a UK business." This is not a simple, generic introductory 'book' on the subject. It combines critical knowledge and proven techniques for each stage of the process and every situation you'll encounter, along with expert ongoing consulting.
This program is specific to the UK market. It incorporates all of the key information you need to know. The strategies to follow and the resources to use when buying a business in the United Kingdom.
If you're serious about buying a business, and especially if you've never bought one before, you've arrived at this Website because you want to have the right information and access to unbiased, expert advice to be absolutely sure you make the right decision.
How To Buy A Good UK Business At A Great Price© is based upon hundreds of business investigations and successful transactions in every field, including manufacturing, retail, a huge array of service-sector companies, the food industry, and wholesale and distribution businesses.
This material contains over 500 pages of proven, simple-to-follow strategies, legal agreements, interactive resources, sample letters, case studies, financial spreadsheets, worksheets, and business plan templates.
Written by renowned expert Richard Parker, who has personally purchased thirteen businesses and is recognized as "the small business acquisition authority".
Clinton Lee of ukbusinessbrokers.com is a respected UK authority on the buying and selling of businesses in the mid-market space has this to say about our program:
“Incredibly insightful, unbiased and experienced advice”.
The UK Specific Content Will Cover:
The UK guide is structured in a way as to make it easy to read, quick to digest, and instantly memorable. There are several distinct sections:
- Introduction to buying a business
- The UK business buying process
- Where to look for a business to buy
- How buying a business in the UK differs from other countries
- Funding the business purchase
- UK advisors
- What to do after you've bought the business
- A rich resource section that provides links, and contact information of organisations that can help you with your purchase
Introduction To Buying A Business In The UK
Buying a business in the UK is not as common as you might think. The popular, but riskier option is to start a business. This flies in the face of logic when you consider that you could buy an existing business with strong cash flows, existing customer and supplier bases, motivated employees, and a presence in the local market. This is why banks are often more prepared to lend for the purchase of a good business. But beware - it can be a complicated and time-consuming process that is fraught with difficulty. So you need to be prepared!
The UK Business Buying Process
A diagrammatical road map included in the materials provides a clear, concise, step-by-step guide to the UK business buying process.
- Evaluating a business - One of the most important steps you will take towards buying a business will be to make a sound judgment on the viability and true worth of what you are buying. In order to properly evaluate a business, you will need access to certain pieces of information. Learn what to ask for and how to analyse the documents you receive.
- Negotiation - Price is just one aspect of the transaction to be negotiated. Terms are just as important, particularly something as simple as what is included in the sale and what's not! The materials will explain exactly what you should do for every important clause and deal point.
- Heads of terms - Also known as 'heads of agreement', this process is where you set out the main terms of the sale. It enables you to describe the agreement in principle, before due diligence and drafting documents has begun. You will learn precisely what should be included and how to structure each aspect of the deal.
- Valuation - The worth of a business can be measured objectively, but in the end is determined subjectively (i.e. how much are you prepared to pay?). Use an array of proven techniques you can deploy to value a business, including asset valuations, Price Earnings (P/E) ratios, discounted cash flow valuations, and other relevant techniques that make sense for each particular enterprise.
- Due diligence - Here you will find techniques on how to make sure you are getting what you thought you were buying. You'll know exactly how to uncover any problems BEFORE you buy!
- Sale and Purchase Agreement - You've satisfied yourself that this business is right for you and that you can finance the purchase. The vendor has accepted your terms. Now the deal needs to be documented in a sale and purchase agreement, based on the Heads of Terms agreed upon earlier in the process. This is the most important document in the transaction, so make sure you know what should be included.
- Closing the transaction - After you and the seller have entered into a binding contract, there are usually several conditions to be met before the sale can close. Find out what they are.
- Post-completion - To maintain a business's momentum it is essential that the transition with the owner takes place as smoothly as possible. Learn how to do this effectively.
Where To Look For A Business To Buy
There are many places where you can find listings of UK businesses-for-sale, some more reputable than others. This guide tells you where to go to find the best sources of listings. Or find out how to approach sellers directly and discreetly, often a fruitful way of achieving your goal.
Searching can often prove time-consuming, so make sure you find out how to save your valuable time!
How Buying A UK Business Differs From Other Countries
You'll be reading this UK companion alongside the main course, so here's some guidance as to how buying a UK business may have its own aspects to consider. There's regulation, tax, law, fees, and property details to consider, plus lots more.
How much does the UK agent charge? What government funding grants are available to me? What's the difference between buying a freehold property or leasehold? Navigating the tax minefield.
In this section you will also learn about the operational aspects particular to UK businesses: collecting income tax on behalf of your employees, employment law, and managing your finances, are just some of the areas covered.
Funding The Business Purchase
Funding your business purchase can be complex and is almost certain to impact the success or failure of your venture. Think carefully about what you and your target business can afford by way of funding. This section gives you plenty of things to think about and sources of information as to where to find the right funding for you.
Unlike the US, bank lending is very common in the UK. Learn how to be prepared BEFORE you visit your bank manager.
You also should not ignore other funding avenues that could also be available to you:
- Friends and family
- Credit cards
- Debt factoring
- Seller financing
- Business angels
The UK Advisors
Getting good advice is key. You should aim to assemble the dream team to help you buy the right business. This section tells you how to find and retain good quality advice.
How should I use my accountant? Is he up to the job? And when should I involve a lawyer? All these questions and more are answered in this section.
Comments From Mr. Leigh Nissim
Leigh is the Chief Operating Officer of Vitesse Media plc, publishers of the Lloyds TSB Small Business Guide (which has sold over 1.5m copies), the Website SmallBusiness.co.uk, and Business XL, the magazine for growing businesses. Leigh was previously a consultant with Deloitte & Touche and CEO of www.BusinessesForSale.com , the global Website that connects buyers and sellers of businesses. Leigh has reviewed the UK guide.
"Whenever I meet a budding entrepreneur, I'm often asked the best way to start or grow a business. I suggest, sometimes controversially, that buying a business is a good way to success. Why start up when someone has probably been there before you? Buy the customers, the cash flow, employees, goodwill, etc. It will save you months, if not years of development.
But there is a catch; it's rarely easy. Many transactions fail and some buy the wrong businesses or pay the wrong price, which can have enormous personal consequences. That's why anyone who's serious about buying a business must be prepared.
In my experience there's plenty of free, general information around, but very little good quality advice. Most articles you'll find are written by sellers or a seller's adviser - beware! You are the buyer, you are paying the cash, and you are taking the risk. You need the best guidance and advice available.
This is why I'm so delighted that Richard Parker has compiled this UK business buying guide to accompany his course on How to Buy a Good Business at a Great Price. He writes for the buyer. He's independent. He doesn't get paid a commission and he provides first-class customer service. I'm confident that the UK market will benefit significantly from his guidance through this UK guide - and so will you."
How To Determine The Right Business For You: Knowing what business is right for you is quite possibly the most important aspect of this process. When you match your greatest strengths to the right business you cannot help but be successful. This section includes a complete evaluation of your strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, past successes, failures, previous experiences, interests, and a whole host of other components that will produce a concise list of the types of businesses that are right for you.
Focusing Your Search: You'll learn where to look, the specific UK resources to use, and how to focus your search like a laser beam on businesses that make sense for you. Instead of wasting time searching endless business for sale listings trying to figure out which ones might be right, you'll refine this process to quickly identify prospects that fit your specific criteria. We'll show you how to get immediate replies from brokers and other intermediaries so that you can devote your time to locating the right business instead of chasing people for information.
The Ten Commandments - what every good business must possess: This is huge! Our clients rave about this section because you'll learn the ten most important factors that every good business must possess. Presented in a simple format, it is the ultimate test to apply to any business for sale you're considering to quickly determine whether or not it's worth pursuing. After thousands of business purchases we know precisely what the common ingredients are in every good business! These ten components have proven over and over again to be the foundation of any good business.
Using Transfer Agents and Intermediaries: Most buyers don't realize that transfer agents represent the seller and not the buyer. They're paid a commission by the seller and so their mandate is clear: get you to buy any business for sale, not necessarily the right one. Why use them altogether? They serve two purposes: they can be helpful in providing you with access to businesses for sale and they're the ideal liaisons to deliver any bad news to the seller in order to preserve your relationship, especially if the seller will remain on board after closing to train you. But, it's important that you engage the right one. You'll learn how to check them out and get them to show you listings that are "reserved" for others.
Reviewing Business For Sale Listings: There are 73 key issues to look for in every business for sale listing. Hidden things that can tell you a lot about a business, both good and bad. These listings will form the foundation of the many questions you'll need to ask the seller. You'll learn how to review them in great detail so you can immediately identify businesses that are worth pursuing and completely avoid wasting time chasing ones that will never materialize.
How To Solicit Businesses That Aren't "Officially" For Sale: We'll also show you how to properly approach and solicit a business that may not be for sale but meets your criteria (by the way, every business is for sale - some owners just don't realize it yet). The right business is out there for you and sometimes you have to go beyond what is "on the market". The key is to approach them effectively so the owners won't take your solicitation to mean that you're prepared to pay any premiums.
Thinking About A Franchise?: They're not for everyone; however, the right ones can be a good entry into business ownership, but only for certain people. Don't buy a new franchise; it's only slightly better than a start-up. We'll show you how to buy a resale that's already successful.
The Key Questions To Ask Every Seller: There are 36 critical questions that you must ask every seller. You'll learn what they are, when you should ask them, and more importantly, the answers to look for. You will learn how to get the real "hidden" answers, not just what they want you to believe. You'll know the exact things you should and should not say to the seller, what to do, and the strategies to use to have the advantage in every situation and negotiation.
Reviewing The Figures (numbers don't lie; sellers do!): Learn how to verify all of the financials to ensure that they are true and accurate. You'll understand the exact steps to take and the procedures to use to uncover any problems and to see if the seller has "cooked the books" or made certain adjustments to falsify the business. This goes on all the time and the consequences can be enormous!
How To Read and Interpret Financial Statements: If you don't know how to effectively read Balance Sheets and Income Statements you'll be at a severe disadvantage. In just one lesson you'll understand how to interpret every type of financial statement like a seasoned pro, and how to immediately identify the inconsistencies.
Valuing A Business: Worried about overpaying? Forget it! Use two proven, proprietary methods that will eliminate all of the guesswork and show you how to accurately value any business for sale. These formulas guarantee that you won't overpay for your purchase. We have used these formulas in hundreds of successful purchases.
How To Flawlessly Investigate Any Business (this is crucial!): Every business for sale has secrets that the seller does not want you to discover. You'll know how to uncover everything about any business before you buy! Your investigation must be flawless and it must begin the moment a business is of interest as there is so much to cover. You'll receive our 200-point Due Diligence Checklist & Strategy Guide that is beyond compare and goes way past the financials to show you precisely how to investigate absolutely every part of the business, the competition, the suppliers, the customers, the contracts, the employees, legal issues, the industry, and on and on.
Negotiating The Deal and Making An Offer: Our program will prepare you to effectively negotiate every part of the deal. There are over 50 specific clauses that must be addressd, and this is what separates good deals from bad ones! We provide you with "what to do" checklists and point-counterpoint strategies for each component you'll have to include in a Purchase Agreement. We'll lay out the precise clauses you'll need to ensure you're completely protected from a future decline in the business, purchasing bad inventory or equipment, or for any other liabilities that will surely come back to haunt you if you don't protect yourself properly.
Financing The Purchase: The goal is simple: get any seller to finance the deal. We won't allow you to put up your house, guarantee the loan with personal assets, or offer your "first born" as collateral. No way! The seller will provide the financing you need. Over 90% of our clients get the seller to finance the bulk of the deal. This is a critically important aspect of the deal. After all, if the seller won't finance you, what does that tell you about the future of the business or his/her belief in you to run it?
Hiring Professionals: We'll explain how to hire the right lawyer and accountant, and you'll discover eleven surefire ways to save a ton on their fees.
Closing The Deal - Making The Final Decision: How to add up all of the information and make the right decision. You'll know what issues have to be renegotiated, and the documents needed to close the deal.
Avoiding All The Hazards: You'll be aware of every trap that causes inexperienced buyers to make awful decisions. You'll know how to deal with, and avoid, all of them!
Post-Purchase Priorities: The first 90 days after you own the business are so important; you'll have a bulletproof plan to operate for the first three months covering every important aspect of the business. You'll have a step-by-step plan of what you must accomplish with the seller during training, how to be certain they are totally cooperative and how to get them to stay on if necessary or be available to you in the future for any questions you may have. You'll know how to effectively communicate your vision to the employees and how to set your plans in motion to begin to take your good business and make it great.
Interactive Resources Included: You'll also receive legal forms, specific clauses to include in any agreement, Letter of Intent, Offer To Purchase Agreement, fully formatted and interactive Excel spreadsheets (with a tutorial) for financial/cash flow analysis, sample letters, Personal Financial Statement worksheet, case studies, and course exhibits.
Click On Any Lesson To Read A Detailed Listing Of Every Topic You'll Cover In This Comprehensive Business For Sale Program
The UK guide is structured in a way as to make it easy to read, quick to digest, and instantly memorable.
THE UK BUSINESS BUYING PROCESS
- A detailed outline of all of the steps in the process and how to address each particular stage.
WHERE TO LOOK FOR A BUSINESS TO BUY
- The best Websites, trade publications, newspapers, and other resources to find the right UK business.
HOW BUYING A UK BUSINESS DIFFERS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES
- All of the unique issues particular to buying a business in the UK.
FUNDING THE PURCHASE
- The resources to use, key contact information, and approaches to fund your purchase.
- A comprehensive section that provides links, and contact information of organisations that can help you with your purchase.
WHY BUY A BUSINESS AND WHAT TO CONSIDER
-Personal, financial, and professional considerations you must evaluate.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
- A ten-point test that any good business for sale must pass.
THE RIGHT BUSINESS FOR YOU
- Key questions and exercises that will help you determine what type of business is right for you.
- Avoid wasting time! How to navigate your way through the maze in half the time it takes others.
WHERE TO LOOK
- An examination of all the resources available to use and the best places to find what you're looking for.
- Starting off properly and staying on the right path.
- A complete overview of how they work. Do you need one? How to hire one that will meet your needs.
WHY EVERY BUSINESS IS FOR SALE AND HOW TO APPROACH THE ONES THAT AREN'T
- The ideal business for sale may be staring you in the face.
FRANCHISES - ARE THEY FOR YOU?
- They're not for everybody; how to find and buy a resale that's already successful.
WORKING WITH PROFESSIONALS
- How to hire the right lawyer and accountant, PLUS eleven surefire ways to save a ton on their fees.
- A straightforward and concise explanation of all accounting terms. Learn how to tear apart and interpret financial statements in one lesson.
THE SELLER AND THEIR IMPORTANCE
- They can be your best ally or your worst enemy. Getting them to agree to your major points.
FOCUSING ON A TARGET
- How to breakdown business for sale listings and focus your search on ones that make sense for you.
VISITING THE BUSINESS - THE KEY QUESTIONS TO ASK EVERY SELLER
- Preparing for the meetings; every single question you must ask and the answers you should look for.
GATHERING INFORMATION ON THE INDUSTRY AND THE COMPETITION
- How to get crucial information directly from competitors and industry experts.
VALUING A BUSINESS
- Learn a five-step valuation formula that guarantees you will never pay more than a business is worth.
NEGOTIATING AND MAKING AN OFFER
- A complete breakdown of every detail to negotiate and the techniques to use for each.
- Learn how to get full access to them and have them reveal what's really going on in the company.
FINANCING THE PURCHASE
- A review of all options available to you and a strategy to negotiate great seller financing.
DUE DILIGENCE -INVESTIGATING THE BUSINESS
- A 200-point checklist that will clearly teach you how to uncover everything before you buy!
PULLING THE TRIGGER
- Adding it all up and making your decision.
CLOSING THE DEAL
- A detailed listing of the documents needed to protect yourself and an explanation of what to look out for from the seller's attorney.
- A checklist and plan for your first 90 days after taking over the business.
Our Guarantee Policy:
We believe it's important for you to know the extent to which we believe in, and back up, our product.
After you receive your material, simply follow the techniques we've laid out, utilize our consulting service as often as you'd like, and if, for any reason whatsoever, you feel that the information we have provided does not equip you with all of the knowledge and tools you'll need to buy the right business for sale, or if our program does not exceed your expectations in any way, just let us know at anytime and we'll immediately refund all of your money. This is not a 30-day guarantee with all kinds of hidden conditions.
No questions asked! No fine print!
The reason why we can offer this type of guarantee is simple: when you have a program that works, there's never any fear offering people the ability to get their money back if they're not completely satisfied.
Also Available Via Immediate Download
- Downloads in minutes!
- Includes all of the interactive resources, worksheets, and Study Guide.
- This download is fully interactive.
- You can read it off your PC or print it out.
After you confirm your order, you will receive a receipt for your purchase containing your link to retrieve your download immediately after you confirm your order.
Your Guide Also Includes:
Study Guide and Journal© - To track your progress, note key points to remember from each section, and log any questions that you'd like to discuss with us.
Prospective Business for Sale Portfolios© - A comprehensive four-part form to use when evaluating a particular business for sale. It will help you prepare your questions, detail your notes, organize the follow-up, and do an overall evaluation on any business you may be considering.
Due Diligence Worksheets© - For the last stage of the business for sale buying process - investigating the company. This is not the time to let anything fall through the cracks! These worksheets will allow you to detail every task that needs to be completed, follow-up to be done, and general notes for this crucial stage of the buying process. A great companion tool for the 50-page section on Due Diligence.
Click once on the "Buy Now" button and you will be taken to our secure server and order form.